Sarah Cooper is the author of the viral infographic: 10 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings. In this episode of MATE, learn how Sarah parlayed her viral post into a three-book deal! We also discuss the business of comedy, the economics of being an author and why she failed as an actor. Sarah’s work has appeared in The Washington Post, Fast Company, Business Insider and Huffington Post. Oh, and Sarah also reveals how a job working at Google became her “backup career”!
- Life as a comedian and an author
- What Sarah learned working in digital interface design for Yahoo!
- The struggle of trying to earn a living as a stand-up comic
- How Sarah’s backup job at Google transpired, and how it got her to her next success.
- Using humour to connect with the audience when writing
- The differences between acting and live comedy
- Behind-the-scenes of creating the viral sensation: 10 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings.
- Thoughts on imposter syndrome, the monkey on the back of many creative people.
- How Sarah turned her viral infographic into a three-book deal!
- Why it’s important to have trustworthy advisors when entering a new business relationship
- The business of comedy and the business of writing
- The many ways Sarah maximises her income
- The marketing techniques that have worked for Sarah; and the ones that haven’t.
- Are Facebook ads worth it?
- Sarah reveals the biggest challenges she’s faced over the years
- Sarah Cooper’s website
- The Cooper Review website
- Purchase Sarah Cooper’s books:
- 100 Tricks to Appear Smart in Meetings, by Sarah Cooper.
- Draw What Success Looks Like, by Sarah Cooper.
- Editing by Josh Armour, from ArmourPod Productions.
- Podcast logo cover artwork by Courtney Carman
- Music from “Ghosts I–IV” by Nine Inch Nails, used under a Creative Commons licence.
Connect with MATE:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe to the RSS feed
- MATE podcast website
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
MATE podcast is a show about Marketing, Advertising, Technology and Entrepreneurship. Hosted by Adam Jaffrey: Digital Strategist and Entrepreneur. Made with ❤ in Melbourne, Australia.
MATE podcast is a production by branded podcast agency Wavelength Creative.