Richard Hack is the Managing Director of Diemen’s Hot Sauce, and was also a Co-founder of The Taboo Group—a youth marketing agency with a reputation for some of Melbourne’s best activation campaigns. We discuss the entrepreneurial lessons he learned from both of these ventures, including how he built successful businesses despite every challenge the world threw at him. I chat with my mentor and good friend, Richie Hack, in this fascinating discussion.
- Why Richard likes to focus on one project at a time
- How Richard and his co-founder Andrew Mackinnon grew The Taboo Group, including stories of the big brands they worked with and where the agency is today.
- The incredible sacrifices his team had to make in order to survive the Global Financial Crisis of 2007–2008
- Recruiting the right blend of talent to achieve maximum results
- Why Richard left The Taboo Group
- Richard’s new career as a co-founder of Diemen’s Hot Sauce
- “Diemen’s Original Australian Made Hot Sauce” was the winner of the Silver Medal at the 2016 World Hot Sauce Awards, held in Louisiana, USA.
- Why the rising popularity of Mexican food and chilli means Diemen’s is uniquely positioned for business success
- Why buying a franchise could be the hidden path to entrepreneurial success
- Why entrepreneurship’s “fail fast” mentality is unethical, irresponsible and shouldn’t be glorified!
- Editing by Josh Armour, from ArmourPod Productions.
- Podcast logo cover artwork by Courtney Carman
- Music from “Ghosts I–IV” by Nine Inch Nails, used under a Creative Commons licence.
Connect with MATE:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe to the RSS feed
- MATE podcast website
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
MATE podcast is a show about Marketing, Advertising, Technology and Entrepreneurship. Hosted by Adam Jaffrey: Digital Strategist and Entrepreneur. Made with ❤ in Melbourne, Australia.
MATE podcast is a production by branded podcast agency Wavelength Creative.