Leigh Price—self-proclaimed social analytics nerd—explains what the field of social analytics is, what it’s useful for and why businesses should use it. We talk about good reports (and bad), and Leigh tells us why he loves working in start-ups. Towards the end, Leigh makes some fascinating predictions about the future of social media. He also reveals a to-do list app, which he endearingly promotes with the statement: “It has changed my life! Look at me, I’m raving about it. I spent 200-fucking-dollars on this thing [app]!”
Links and resources:
- NUVI social analytics
- Social Studio (formerly Radian6) social analytics, owned by Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Lexer social analytics
- Sprout Social analytics
- Market research is often flawed due to biases like groupthink
- University doesn’t teach you employment skills, university teaches you how to think.
- The dot-com bubble, which occurred between 1997–2000.
- OzEmail, which was partially owned by Malcolm Turnbull between 1994–1999.
- DealsDirect, which evolved out of the eBay store Auctionbrokers Australia.
- Amicus Digital
- Sales is just about helping other people get what they want
- Sysomos Gaze is helping brands pinpoint their logo in social media photos via image recognition (see Coke case study).
- DataSift, the social data service, has a direct line into Facebook’s “firehose”.
- Wunderlist, the to-do app.
- Omnifocus, the to-do app (and cult).
- “We wouldn’t include anything in a report if it didn’t include an insight.” ~ Leigh Price
- “The really interesting things happen for the people who live in the space that’s in between being ‘just outside your comfort zone’ and ‘I’m fucking terrified!'” ~ Adam Jaffrey
- “I think I’m lucky because I’m a massive fucking nerd. I love talking about this stuff with anyone. It’s genuinely interesting to me to hear what people are doing [with these tools].” ~ Leigh Price
- “If people need help, they’ll tell you what they want. In a sales role, you just have to listen to what people are saying. They will tell you quite explicitly what they’re trying to do.” ~ Leigh Price
- “Reports should be insight-driven, not vanity-driven.” ~ Leigh Price
- The guest on this episode: Leigh Price of Amicus Digital.
- Podcast logo cover artwork by Courtney Carman
- Music from “Ghosts I–IV” by Nine Inch Nails, used under a Creative Commons licence.
Connect with MATE:
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher
- Subscribe to the RSS feed
- Listen on YouTube
- MATE podcast website
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
MATE podcast is a show about Marketing, Advertising, Technology and Entrepreneurship. Hosted by Adam Jaffrey: Digital Strategist and Entrepreneur. Made with ❤ in Melbourne, Australia.
MATE podcast is a production by branded podcast agency Wavelength Creative.